he history of Livraria Lello is also the story of the brothers Lello who open the bookshop in 1906. José and António Lello were born in Villa Ramadas, in Fontes, Santa Marta de Penaguião, to a landowner father. José Lello, the eldest brother, was the first to move to Porto. A man of letters and a lover of literature, books and music, José had the ambition of becoming a bookseller. With his brother-in-law as business partner, José opened his first bookshop and publishing house in 1881. Upon the passing of José’s brother-in-law, José and his younger brother António joined to create their company, José Pinto de Sousa Lello & Irmão.